Here at EverythingTwitter we have reviewed hundreds of apps. Well many of them come and go. Some got bought. Others closed shop when APIs changed. And some just lost the interest or funds of the developer.
One good way to keep up with your own privacy, and see what has closed, is to view your list of approved apps in your Twitter profile. You should see the below after you log in.
Ours were always huge since we test everything. So here is a bunch of apps that have closed. We may update this list over time so bookmark it!
- TwitTruth – open from 2010 to 2012. told you if celebrities really used Twitter.
- LocalPeoplereg – who knows when or why. We cannot find them anymore
- Tw2buzz – imported Twitter peeps to Google Buzz. We know what happened there
- TwtBizCard – started around 2009. Site goes to 63labs now
- SocialWhale – Started in 2008 and closed in 2012
- TwitHive – started in 2009 and gone by 2010. They said limited resources and interest
- TwitHit – started around 2009. We cannot even find when it vanished
- Erased521 – another 2009 launch that just vanished
- TwitWheel – now just a blog. We learned about them in 2012
- Recogniz.es – The site is a parking page only
- Daily RT – started in 2009 and dead by 2013
- TwitPic – a hue hit when it launched in 2012 then Twitter shut them down in 2014
- Sparse.ly – just plain gone. Not even in Wikipedia
- TweetMeme – from 2008 to 2015 it stayed active. They made the retweet button
- tdash – Operated 2010 to 2013. It went open source but still died
- TwellWishes – Operated 2009 to 2011. The website is now in Thai and is a blog
- ThreadedTweets – an original threader service of Twitter conversations. Vanished
- Cadmus – launched 2010 to filter noise and later closed. The website is still active
- Evri – from 2008 to 2012 it delivered news
- Topify – was for Twitter now for forums
- Streamy – from 2007 to about end of 2009 was a great web interface
- Listorius – helped find better Twitter lists. Sold to MuckRack in 2014
We will add more shortly. (last update Aug 4 2016) Check your permissions everyone!