Twibble brings a slew of features as a mobile Twitter client and as another Air client. Then they layer APIs for mapping locations from Twitter.
The Air application has many features and is still in beta:
- support for multiple accounts (twitter, identi.ca, private and corporate miroblogging instances (twitter API compatible))
- drag and drop uploading of pics and videos to Mobypicture or twitpic (pics only). Click on the icon near the char counter to display the upload pane
- persistent search, will be reloaded after start-up and refreshes automatically (tracking)
- intelligent auto-scrolling: if a tweet is selected the view will keep the item visible, otherwise twibble jumps to the start when new tweets arrive
- notifications (replys/dms or all tweets)
- drag and drop shortening of urls using bit.ly
- Tweets, replies, direct messages, and favs are displayed in different tabs sorted by date
- supports all important twitter functions
- automatic update: You will be notified when a new version is available at start-up
- keyboard shortcuts: twibble has keyboard shortcuts for the most important twitter functions. You can flip through the list like in other list based applications.
- OS integration
There is also the ability to change the UI colors
The mobile client works on all Java enabled smartphones (BlackBerry, Nokia and SonyEricsson). It supports :
- tweets, replies and direct messages are displayed in separate views (flip with right/left keys or ’space’. ‘wipe’ right/left on touch screen devices)
- fully integrated twitter search with automatic refresh of result list (new in 0.9.14)
- load tweets on demand when scrolling down the tweet list
- send videos and photos to Mobypicture or twitpic (pics only). In case of Mobypicture you can even geocode your photo or video with GPS coordinates! This is an example with a picture and this with a video (watch the map on the right). Read this post how it works.
- automatic notification of new versions (new in 0.9.26)
- Image browser to select pics you want to sent to twitpic/Moby new in 0.9.15/16
- search twitter for users or hashtags directly from a tweet
- re-tweet (forward) of tweets. With a few clicks you can re-send a tweet you received without re-typing the message.
- quick @replies
- replies are properly linked to the original tweet (”in reply to”)
- follow/unfollow other twitter users directly from a tweet
- mark tweets as favorites: Useful on the road when you want to mark a tweet for later reading.
- support for ssl to make the transmission more secure
- full support for public or private identi.ca/laconi.ca instances
- full screen mode with good readability
- (Optionally) display avatar pics, pics are automatically resized depending on the screen size of your phone.
- auto refresh: retrieve tweets automatically after a given time period. Or retrieve tweets manually by pressing ‘*’
- fast and ressource saving implementation
- On most devices you can run twibble in the background.
- notifications: configure twibble to vibrate if new tweets arrive.
- keyboard shortcuts: to access the most important functions use the keyboard shortcuts.
- themes: twibble comes with a couple of different themes you can chose from.
- optimized to generate as little data traffic as possible. Only new tweets are fetched to reduce data traffic.
- open web links contained in a tweet (via phone browser)
The API performs some great features to take locations into blogs and Google Earth:
The feeds are in kml and georss format. The API allows you to display the locations of yourself and your twitter friends in Google Earth, Google Maps, or any other georss/kml aware application. You can also include the feeds into your own application or blog. The format of the twibble output data is very similar to the output data of the twitter API. Basically, the twibble API adds some additional geo elements to the standard twitter output but lets the basic structure unchanged.
Pick one or all of them and get to Twibbling