SavorChat uses the oAuth from Twitter or Facebook Connect to allow users to log in and create on the fly chat rooms. You are able to see form which service the user comes in and the rooms offer quite a few services:
- Create and host your own chat room
- Make your chat room public or private with password protection
- Send direct messages to 1 or more users within a room
- Schedule when your room is open
- Invite your Facebook friends
You are also able to see the avatars the person uses in the systems. The soon to come premium rooms (subscription I imagine) will remove advertisements, allow branding and theme design as well as open the number of users to unlimited.
I chose to test with Facebook Connect first. I could create a new room, browse all rooms that were open, see recently visited rooms and manage my existing rooms.
Creating a new room allowed:
- up to 30 characters for the name
- had a field for Twitter tags
- had a setting for start time and duration (blank is indefinite)
- pre-selected categories
- ability to enable and disable the room
- password control
- stealth setting (hide from everyone and searches)
All of this was in the free room settings. I hope to see the premium abilities soon. Once I created the room for TheSocialGeeks and EverythingTwitter I could publish the link, embed it, invite friends, see who was online and update the information.
Quite impressive! The link you email was alredy shortened which was a nice touch.