On the heels of TweetBlocker last week, we now have TwitBlock making an appearance. It seems to follow the same idea that having people follow you that are spammers in some way might cause you harm. You are able to approach it two ways using their site.
1. Simply enter a Twitter user id and it then runs the algorithms against that account. Luckily I rate a big fat zero! I did like the areas that it tries to identify. It checks for:
- Ignore factor
- Stalking rate
- Blocked by other TwitBlock users
- Same profile pic as blocked accounts
- Tweets via API
- Missing Profile fields
- Username looks randomly generated
- Spammy words in bio
It then generates a total score based on all of these. A blog posting of their explains all of the scoring systems.
2. You log into the site via oAuth and allow the system to see all of your followers and give ratings. I ran mine and I liked the fact that it indeed found profiles with the exact same picture on them. As well as accounts that only gave spam type links as their postings. It only showed accounts that scored over 20 points and gave the total it found from all of your followers.
Overall this worked fairly quickly through my follower list. I bet if this postings gets around enough we might break their system however, some of you have large amounts of followers. Funny as it listed playspymaster, Chris Brogan and Pistachio as spam accounts, who would have thought..